[pct-l] bear canisters Complex problem... please help

Tom Reynolds tomreynolds_ilan at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 12:59:01 CDT 2007

Monte,
  The situation is not complex. You need a canister.

  You cannot get to Donahue Pass from VVR without one (legally). They are very serious and for good reason. There have been several, very dangerous, bear attacks on tents in this area. If they catch you they will bust you.

  Trust me on this. I know. Four years ago I sent a letter to INYO demanding that they enforce the regulations against thruhikers. I will remind them again as some thruhikers haven't seemed to get the message.

  You might get a break from a Ranger between Woods Creek and VVR. That area is not a heavy use area for weekenders and is in the National Park. You also might get a break in Yosemite if you make it over the Pass and, use the bear boxes at Tuolumne, then make 15 miles or so North the next hiking day.

montypct <montypct at gmail.com> wrote:
  I meant to send this to the list on a recent topic:
Forwarded late but I need help here.