[pct-l] alcohol stoves

msarahm at cox.net msarahm at cox.net
Tue Mar 20 13:30:33 CDT 2007

I do find it funny!  One topic that seems to come up often in stove conversations is how fast water boils.  While a very slow boil would be undesirable, I don't fully understand the urgency.  I find that the slightly slower boiling time with my alcohol stove improves the cooking.  I *want* it to take two minutes.  I don't need to use a pot cozy because by the time my one-pot dinner reaches boiling, the food is near being ready to eat.  I also like it that my stove is quiet and more environmentally friendly (alcohol breaks down in the environment).

Most of my meals have instant rice, instant beans, cous-cous, or some other starchy ingredient that wants to be heated for 3-5 minutes for ideal palatability.  With my gas stove, those ingredients are often still crunchy after reaching a boil.

Disclaimer: I have used my alcohol stove in the high sierras at temperatures below freezing, but not for snow camping or much below freezing.