[pct-l] bear canisters Getting closer ALMOST!!!!

Tom Reynolds tomreynolds_ilan at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 19:28:45 CDT 2007

I don't believe bear canisters are required thru Sequoia/Kings Canyon for thruhikers yet. There are, however, some difficult areas.
  1-Near Rock Creek, Crabtree Meadow and Rae Lakes bears are everywhere but there are bear boxs. You must use them. You can count on a Ranger in Rae Lakes and possibly Crabtree Meadow.
  2-In LeConte Canyon, after the Golden Staircase down from Palisades Lakes and before the long climb to the pass, a bear is usually there. There are no bear boxes that I know of and there is a Ranger Station so improper food storage could yeild a ticket and/or lost food plus you are required to clean up the mess.
  3-The Valley where Piute Creek and trail junction with the PCT/JMT. There is a problem in this area and the lateral to Muir Trail Ranch/ Florence Lake. (Muir Trail Ranch electrifies their kitchen every night)

  From the map it appears to me that you can make it into Red's Meadow and avoid the "required" area around Duc Lake by taking the low route (that also includes a nice stop at Iva Bell Hot Springs). You could then take the tram/bus to Mammoth and pickup a canister at INYO. Mammoth Mountain Inn used to have relatively cheap backpacker rates. Someone who cares should call Inyo Ranger Station in Mammoth about this.

  Tom

montypct <montypct at gmail.com> wrote:

Filling in the Gaps
MORE SPECIFIC
NEED Canister requirements MAPs
Area in question Between LAKE VIRGINIA south of Agnew Meadows and Piute Pass (KINGS CANYON).
Or............ We have no evidence (until the print appears) that Cannisters are required in this stretch!!! And that's the results!!! Yeah!!!!!!
Thanks Monty

Topo data (and the reason for the conususion) coraborated per Aaron's input by
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/inyo/north/14.php
It won't leave my brain cells until disproven.

Aarons Agnew to Donahue Pass Corraborated per forest service
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/bearmaps/bearcanmaprushcr.doc

Just need to fill in Agnew Meadows to Piute Pass per hard data.

The biggest question left (per hard evidence) is the conflict between the written Sierra NF/Muir/Ansel Adams and not yet produced Inyo NF Administered regulations superceeding Sierra NF/Muir/Ansel Adams Wilderness between Piute Pass and Agnew Meadows. I am elated that there is a clear cut map which will answer the question and I'm dying to see it.

Just one more map!!!!!!!!!

Monty

I don't care what the findings are so much as the accurate elimination or corraboration of this overwhelming and conflicting data.
I'm only working on an analytical process.
It doesn't matter what the outcome is so much, by far, that the process and principles are followed.

Only written or printed evidence, so far, can fit that process.