[pct-l] Bear Canisters

Jeff Moorehead jeffmoorehead1 at cox.net
Tue Mar 20 20:01:27 CDT 2007

As far as I know, cannisters are still officially required everywhere within
the national parks. The effective regulations might waiver from ranger to
ranger. Last year, one thru-hiker was stopped by a ranger shortly upon
entering Kings Canyon NP. He couldn't produce proof of a cannister since he
didn't have one. Although she allowed him to continue his hike, she did
request that he get off trail by Mammoth Lakes at the latest, rent a
cannister and send her the receipt in order to avoid a $400 ticket. To my
great surprise, he did so! I was aked twice to show my cannister as were
several other hikers. Sorry guys, but a cannister is still required for
traversing the Sierra. Risk it if you must, but going without is "agin the
law"....