[pct-l] Bear Canisters

Tom Reynolds tomreynolds_ilan at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 21:44:55 CDT 2007

Stillroaming,

  Ok, but your choice effects everybody else.

  For me to go further in my crusade that everybody, including thruhikers, carry (and use properly) a bear canister, I would have to take action that would make hiking the PCT decidedly more dfficult for everybody, including those who do carry a canister. Since your view is now a minority, as opposed to a majority four years ago, I have declined to take the next step.

  Tom

stillroaming <pct at delnorteresort.com> wrote:
  Personally, I will never, ever carry a canister, regardless of consequences.
That is my choice. What you or others do is entirely your choice. Whatever
that choice is, you will hear no objections from me. I defend and support
your right to make that choice. If you don't have that trait within you to
defend your food, I urge you to carry a canister.

Pacific Northwest Bears vs Sierra Bears. That's all I have to say about
canister policy.

Several days ago you (Tom Reynolds) said:
"I do not thruhike, would never thruhike, think that the PCT, aside from the
Sierra, is a boring dusty rut or a confining green tunnel and think that
thruhikers have a screw loose."

Given your regard for the PCT and those who would spend months hiking it I
fear what other plans you may attempt to impose on those of us who don't
dance to your tune.

Be it the aftermath of the ADZ or your over-valued opinion of bear
canisters, much to your dismay folks will act and think for themselves.

Scott Parks

The thruhiking community doesn't understand the bear problem.

Neither I nor the Rangers are protecting you (thruhikers) from yourself.
Both I and the Rangers are protecting me. The Rangers are protecting the
bears also.

It's very simple. You sleep with your food you are training the bears to
crash tents for food. The tent they crash might be mine.

Four years ago more than 75% of thruhikers on this list were not planning
to use a bear canister. Also, there were several reports (on this list) of
thrukikers advocating to weekenders that they discontinue the use of bear
canisters. There were also several incidents with thruhikers. One thruhiker
called me personally for help getting a canister after a bear stalked her
tent all night! True, thruhikers are not the primary problem but they start
the problem with their early season training of bears.

I see the number of thruhikers not planning on using canisters is
considerably less this year. Of course, four years ago there were
considerably less instances of bears crashing tents, snatching for bags used
for pillows, etc than there are today. That's bad but it did wake up the
authorities to the problem. Also, as of four years ago the regulations
weren't as tight as they are now. That's very good! Further, treating
thruhikers as a special group seems to have largely gone away. Excellent!!

So, stop thinking that the bear canister regulations are unwise It's
either the regs or kill all bears in the Sierra. (Why not more bear boxes?
The Rangers don't have the manpower to clean them. Do you know how much corn
pasta is left in them but the time thruhiking season is over?)

Tom

PS: So Scott, the ADZ I did for thruhikers but the enforcement of
canisters I did for me and for the Sierra weekenders. Don't equate the two.
The only common thread in the two is the ability I have to make something
happen.
<<<<

unsubscribe or change options: