[pct-l] Odor Protection Sacks?

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Mar 21 13:03:12 CDT 2007

Though I like them and use them, one thing about the OP sacks to consider is that they're not made "thru-hiker tough", and I found they literally came apart at the seams.  When you're cramming 7+ days of food into one, it strains the seams and the open up, effectively becoming useless.  The solution was to carry plenty of extras.

I used OP sacks to store food, toiletries, medicines, trash, and my cookset -- all of which could potentially attract bears with their scent.  The food sack was in my aluminum lined Ursack, but even if I used my Garcia or Bearikade, or no can at all,  I would still use the OP sacks -- anywhere, anytime.  Little rodents can do a lot of damage, and I had a bigger problem with a demonic and aggressive squirrel than bears on my JMT hike last summer!

L-Rod