[pct-l] FIRES IN GENERAL -- was Denatured alcohol... safest of the unsafe?

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Mar 22 12:30:33 CDT 2007

PLEASE NOTE:  THIS THREAD IS NOT JUST RELATED TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.  IT IS RELATED TO THE ENTIRE PCT.  FIRES IN NO. CAL AND THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST HAVE BEEN EQUALLY DEVASTATING AND COMMON.

I have been completely stunned at the number of hikers who are building CAMPFIRES every night, regardless of where they are on the trail.  We, who have seen incredible loss of wildlife habitat, homes, and peoples lives and livelihoods, cannot believe that hikers come out here and build campfires, oblivious to the hazards.  Not only are they creating illegal fire rings, they risk more than they can ever imagine personally and financially should one tiny thing go wrong and get out of control.

Firefighting officials in our area are aware of the hiker traffic, and when a brush fire was started two years ago before the tunnel going under the 14 freeway, the Fire Marshall came to our house looking for hikers.  Thankfully, there had been none, and the source of the fire was something else.  Hikers trying to escape from fires they'd started (yes, this has happened) were searched for by authorities, and other hikers were questionned.  THEY WILL CHARGE YOU FOR THE COST OF FIGHTING ANY FIRE, AND FOR ANY LOSSES THAT MAY BE SUFFERED, EVEN IF IT'S ACCIDENTAL.  This can amount to MILLION$, literally.  This can be more than hike ending.  It can be life ending.

Now, back to the denatured alcohol thing:

In my observations, the stability of the soda can stoves using denatured alcohol is only one consideration.  The snaking, traveling manner of the denatured flame is the other dangerous aspect.  Where there is light, you cannot see this flame, which can lick out one foot routinely, in any direction.  It's uncontrollable.  Many hikers make camp, cook, and eat before it gets dark, and cannot see this flame, so become forgetful of it.

When things are really dry, it feels like the brush could spontaneously combust.  It doesn't take much -- like the spark from a lawnmower blade striking a rock -- to start brushfires.  Folks who come from more humid areas of the country tend to be unaware of the difference, and do things (like burn toilet paper) that may be okay elsewhere, but are really, really, dangerous in the West.

The dry desert winds are blowing again today, clearing out all the bit of moisture we had in the last few days.  The brush can be bone dry within hours, even though it was soggy this morning.

The sad thing is, the people who really need to hear this message are probably not on this post.

L-Rod