[pct-l] Smart bears

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Thu Mar 22 18:03:50 CDT 2007

Years ago I recall someone was selling a commercial version of this. I
bought such a cleat and played around with it but couldn't figure out
how to work it in the woods.

Years ago I led a Sierra (Club) Singles trip to Rancheria Falls in
Yosemite where we used the counter balance method for our group food.
Bears tried to get the food but all they did was damage the tree. Maybe
the bears are smarter now. However the counter balance method depends a
lot on finding a suitable limb on a suitable tree; often hard to find.
Also when counterbalancing the food, one should loosely coil the free
end of the line and lay it over the lower bag being raised; and leave a
loop dangling down so one can use a limb or pole to pull the free end
down when one is ready to lower the food. This eliminates a line hanging
where a bear and pull on it and perhaps break the line.

But as others have noted, counterbalancing apparently doesn't work very
well any more in the Sierras.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>