[pct-l] was Smart bears, now non-counterbalance hang methods

Bruce Harvey bharve at dslextreme.com
Thu Mar 22 20:50:48 CDT 2007

On Mar 22, 2007, at 10:46 AM, Jo Pegrum Hazelett wrote:

> The clamcleat method is ingenious, but I didn't invent it, I got the
> idea from a long-time backpacking and sailing friend...

There is another non-counterbalance hang method, similar to what I
envision the clamcleat method to be.  For this  method, tie a small
loop in the hang line, just above the food bag (or bags).  (If line
is tied to bag(s) first, the loop can be made by an overhand knot on
a bight).  Throw the tag end of the line over the tree branch.  Pass
the tag end through the loop.  Pull the tag end to hoist the food bag
(s), until the loop meets the branch.  While keeping the line taut,
bag(s) hoisted, and loop at the branch, tie the line around a toggle
(such as stick a few inches long), as high as you can reach while
still keeping the line taut.  This step of tying the line to the
toggle while keeping the line taut is more easily done by two
people.  One person can do it, but not as high up the line as two
people can.  If doing it alone, hold the toggle with your teeth, as
if holding a cigaret tightly, keep the line taut with one hand, with
the other hand at mouth height form a larkspur (aka larkshead), then
holding the larkspur in hand and toggle in teeth, insert toggle into
loops of the larkspur.  Now cinch the line tight around the toggle.
All the above is done while standing directly below the tree
branch.   Now back away from underneath the branch and pay out the
line to lower the bag(s) until toggle meets loop.  The reason for
backing away is to avoid having the toggle hang up on bag(s) as it
passes.  The bag(s) will hang, toggle against loop.  The lowest bag
bottom will be at a height above ground that is  equal to half the
line length from toggle to branch, plus the height above ground the
toggle was tied, less the length of the longest bag below the loop.

This method, like the clamcleat method can be used to hang one bag,
two bags, or more.  (Hung five once).  Like the clamcleat method and
UNLIKE counter balance hanging. it is completely secure against bears
pawing lines or bouncing on branches or shaking them.  Also unlike
counter balance hanging, excess line doesn't have to be gathered at a
bag to be kept out of bears' reach, and a lower bag doesn't have to
be shoved up to get two bags at the same height.  However, just like
counter balance hanging, the bag(s) are open to attack by birds, and
exposed to rain.  A good idea might be to put a small hole in the
center of a piece of silnylon for the line to pass through and use
the sinylon piece as a drape over the food bag(s).  That would give
some rain protection, and birds might not be able to get claw grip on
the silnylon.  (From experience, they can perch on sides of suspended
plastic bags!  Not surprising, since they can perch on thin little
tree branches jerked around by wind.)

To retrieve food bag(s), pull the tag end of the line, again standing
away from underneath the branch so the toggle doesn't hang up on bag
(s).   Hoist the bags until the toggle is within reach, keep line
taut above the toggle with one hand, and remove toggle with the other
hand.  Then pay out line to lower bag(s) to ground.

If somewhat thin line is used, the line can be tied to a small ring,
such as a key ring, and a foot or so of line left bast the ring for
tying to food bag(s).  A slightly larger ring can be used as a
toggle, and it can be held with the taut line hand, rather than
teeth, while getting the larkspur on it.  A ring as a toggle is
better than a stick, as it is much less likely to snag or hang up as
it passes a bag.

It all sounds good, but there are plenty of places in the Sierras
where there will be no trees within an hour or so, and plenty of
places where finding a suitable tree can take a lot of time.  (A
pitch for canisters here.)

geezer