[pct-l] A Serious Challenge

Shauna csxii at schizoaffective.org
Fri Mar 23 05:12:47 CDT 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 01:05:46 -0700, RJ Lewis <karmagurl at rainierconnect.com>
had this to say:

>However, carrying
>those types of ingredients out on the trail will be impractical. Maybe
>with some of your creativity here on the list, I can get some really
>good ideas to help me along here with my food ideas, cause that seems to
>be where I'm really really stuck so far in my planning for my own trip.
>  So yeah, top ramen is O-u -t out...its loaded with MSG. Alot of most
>hiker's staples are absolutely forbidden to me.

Get a dehydrator and start dehydrating all of your left overs.
As long as the food is not too fatty it can be dehydrated.

I like home made fried rice with meat and eggs in it, sometimes I make
extra to put in the dehydrator.   Hamburger with the fat drained off can be
dehydrated but I'm not sure how many months it would last.  I keep most of
my home dehydrated food in the fridge.

 I love a certain type of raman but the MSG in it can give me a headache
that lasts for 3 days.   Too bad that MSG can legally be hidden by the
phrase "natural flavorings".  It would be easier to figure out what is safe
without that loophole.   I just have to assume that most any processed food
is rich in MSG.

Taking enough B vitamins can help some people who have MSG sensitivity.  In
some cases it's linked to a B vitamin deficiency.

Little condiment packs can be bought by the box and put in your resupply
packages so you don't have to swipe them from Mcdonalds like most people
(myself included)  seem to do.. :)