[pct-l] A Serious Challenge

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 09:26:45 CDT 2007

Check out AlpineAire dinners, the only natural food type backpacking dinners.
Well, there's a couple of others maybe, that don't suit me, Mary Jane's Farm
for instance (portions too small and all vegan).
    I eat granola for breakfast; Clif Bars, Soya Kaas cheese, and trail mix
for snacks; Pemmican Bars for lunch or dinner; and AlpineAire dinners for lunch
or dinner. I used to cook the dinners; then quit carrying a stove and fuel
and only rehydrated the dinners; but this year I'm no longer carrying the
dinners, substituting 2 ProBars for lunch/dinner. I also use one Alacer drink mix
per day; they have no white or artificial sugars, just fructose (fruit sugar),
vitamins and minerals, so there's no black stuff growing in the water bottle
(which happened to me on the AT once - took a lot of shaking with pebbles to get
it clean).
    My food weight is 1.75 lbs per day, with no cooking or rehydrating; most
won't eat what I do, but it works for me; and the monotony of it doesn't
bother me. Everything can be eaten while walking; I prefer to eat something just
before a break, and use the break for other things: water transfer, resting, map
reading, guide book reading, and data book reading - or maybe just close my
eyes for a few.

Bob "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of Texas