[pct-l] Traversing the Sierra

JoAnn M. Michael jomike at cot.net
Sat Mar 24 14:54:20 CDT 2007

It's hard for me to understand the mindset of wanting to get
through the High Sierra as quickly as possible.  You're going
to be on the trail for six months, with plenty of long boring
stretches -- why blast through the best part so fast you won't
have time to look at it?  It makes more sense to carry a reasonable
amount of food and resupply at Kearsarge.  (As far as I can see,
most people end up doing that anyway, even if they originally
plan otherwise.)

Most of the hikers on this List aim for 4.5 to 5 months to completion. Though I learn a lot from this list and have been a proud member four 4 (5?) years, it helps to stop and realize this is a very unique group. They are most of the original ultra-lightweight folks; record setters; Triple Crowners, etc.

Even though I do not fit into the above groups I try not to compare myself to them. They (at least a large percentage) do approach their thru-hike as somewhat of a 'race', if for no other reason as to get through WA before the calendar and weather brings on snow and cold.

Anyway, I hope I've not stepped on toes for I admit to not recognizing your name. You may be a thru hiker extraordinaire  :)  and I don't know what I'm talking about.

are we there yet