[pct-l] Latest Shelter and Bag Combo and PCT Commercialization

The Mountain Goat themtgoat at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 25 22:02:41 CDT 2007

Is that anything like taking Chickens on the trail for food and eggs?

Or was that Renalds Idea?
-Mountain Goat-

p.s. I wounder if one of the chickens could carry the deep fat fryer, then
you could have PFC (Pacific Friend Chicken)...

Hiker97 at aol.com      Hiker97 at aol.com
     Sun Mar 25 20:25:39 CST 2007
---------------------------------

_park at vt.edu_ (mailto:park at vt.edu)  writes:

I don't  see a trail weight listed for this setup.  It looks to be pretty
light,  though.  Would you please provide its measured weight?  Thank you,
Hoplite
Unfortunately, the weights are a  trade secret of PlayHut.  I figure I can
have them make everything out of  cuben fabric at a great weight savings.  I
want mine made with the Barbie  logo/decorations and pirate stuff.  She looks
like a hot backpacker and  would be great with a black patch over one eye and a
knife between her  teeth.

This brings up a good point.  We should commercialize the PCT for  personal
economic gain.  For example, you could have advertising on your  shelter for a
small fee paid to you: "Buy the Ford 1-50 when you are too tired  to walk."
"Is that water really safe?  Get Smooth  Flow water filters."  "Buy Tasty
dehydrated foods to satisfy that  backpacker hunger."  "Don't forget to stop by
Wilson's in Bishop for your  gear needs."

This whole thing would be something like professional golfers do with all
their gear advertising.  Hats, clothes, shelters, packs, sleeping bags,  etc.,
would all be colorfully labeled.  You could finance your thru hike  this way.
You would be a walking bill board on the trail --- a hiking  marketing poly.

Once again, Switchback, has come through for you with another great  idea.