[pct-l] #rd Gate Cache... Suggestion

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Mon Mar 26 18:22:03 CDT 2007

stillroaming wrote:

> ...having hikers carry water from scissors to the cache pretty much
> defeats the purpose of the cache, and creates even more uncertainty
> about the status of said cache
> <<<<
>
> Ok, got it now. We don't want hikers to carry their own water,
> volunteers should do it for them.

in a situation where a volunteer can get away with carrying the water a
mile, vs 14 miles via the pct, in a notoriously hot section, yes.

i'm a bit confused here, stillroaming. on the one hand you claim to be
terribly terribly concerned that hikers do not attempt to enter the
snowy sierra too early, presumably out of concern for their safety...
yet you seem to have no concern at all for the safety of hikers in the
dry stretches of desert? don't forget, these caches are there for SAFETY
PURPOSES ONLY, and they are heavily advertised as such.

> Also, should we encourage hikers to be more independent in a dry year
> such as this or should we increase the certainty of said cache? Which
> will serve the individual/hiking community better?

increasing the reliability (certainty, by definition, cannot be
increased) of said safety cache.

> Thanks in advance for providing sound guidance to the misguided!

let me ask you another question. would you refuse water from a cache in
the middle of, say, a 100 mile waterless stretch, simply because the
trail designers happened to route it that way?

gs