[pct-l] Water Caches

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Mon Mar 26 21:35:30 CDT 2007

Tortoise wrote:
> Well if the emergency caches are not widely advertised, how will those
> needing emergency supply know where the caches are?
>
> That said, the quantity of water cached and used strongly indicates that
> the caches are being use for much more than simply an emergency supply.

there's some nuance to cache etiquette. to expand on my observations, it
seems that generally what happens is, if hikers arrive at a well-stocked
cache, they tend to feel more free to take some, even if it's not for
emergency purposes. that's why you will sometimes find hikers using the
cache water even if they packed a sufficient amount to get them through
the section. it's also typical for hikers to keep in mind the amount of
folks that they know are behind them on the trail when deciding whether
or not it's ok to take any water.

but if you come to a cache that's well depleted or close to empty, the
etiquette is to not take any unless you really, genuinely need it, and
will likely run into trouble without it.

gs