[pct-l] Light Weight Umbrella

Mark Jernigan footslogger03 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 08:06:34 CDT 2007

For those who carry/use an umbrella       ...do you carry trekking poles ?

  Just wondering how practical it is to stow your poles on the pack in order to open and hold an umbrella over your head.

  'Slogger

Hiker97 at aol.com wrote:
  This looks like the lightest hiking umbrella I can find. This is not bad at
all at under 5 ounces, but it still does not have a wind vent at the top. A
wind vent at the top of the umbrella would be a very good feature. Go to:

_moontrail.com/snow-peak-ultra-light-umbrella.php_
(http://moontrail.com/snow-peak-ultra-light-umbrella.php)

I think the gray color would be best. There might be some minor
modifications to the handle to make it a little lighter. You might get it down to 4.5
ounces.

Currently, I use the GoLite Chrome Dome, but it weighs in at around 10
ounces. The GoLite website says it is 8 ounces, but that is not what my model
weighs. May be a newer model is lighter.

The only hiking umbrella I have seen with a wind vent at the top is at
REI.com, but it weighs around a pound.

I think I will get the SnowPeak umbrella, so I can bust people's chops down
at the April Kickoff about how heavy their umbrella is. At least, those who
have umbrellas.

Your Shady Pal, Switchback

unsubscribe or change options: