[pct-l] Gear Weights

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 17:53:14 CDT 2007

I am plesed with Osprey Atmos series.  It has a unique suspension system that allows some airflow on the back and is adjustable.  I personally used the 35 last year and it seemed a little small for the long hauls in the sierras.

  No big marketing retailer can beat the weight of some of the  the mom and pop shops.  ULA would probably be my choice and has the better suspension options.   Gossamer provides some even lighter packs but tends to give just the right suspension for "lighter" loads.

  If you wait for clearances you will tend to get more commecial and IMO heavier packs from the big retailers.  The garage biz are the only ones that will get you close to 2 lbs.

RJ Lewis <karmagurl at rainierconnect.com> wrote:
  Hi!
I will address the whole list once again, as I have a serious question
or 2 to ask, if I may. I have been looking at various packs, sleeping
bags and tents. And while it seems that tents are fairly easy to find to
suit my needs in lighter weights, packs and sleeping bags are not! I
don't want to use a 20F bag, as I plan on using this bag for other
trips, and I am a notorious "freeze baby" ie- I sleep "cold". I'm the
one who turns the electric blanket on high, and piles the quilts on,
while my poor hubby opens the windows, because he's sweating to death.
*LOL* The best weight I have found so far in a down sleeping bag, which
is what I prefer myself, is 2lbs 8 oz ( so far).

Packs are again another story. The weights I keep seeing, in a pack that
I can handle solo, are 3lbs 8 oz -5 lbs or so. Since I would like to
keep my weight, before food and H20, to 25 lbs and under, this seems a
bit weighty to me, especially on the pack side. I feel I can work with
the sleeping bag arrangement, as I refuse to sleep cold. I have
arthritis, and there is absolutely nothing that will spoil a day faster
than waking up stiff because you slept cold. The idea though too is,
that I need to be able to handle this pack solo, with my bad back, even
on really "bad" days. And a sleeping bag compartment is a "must" to me.
I hate the idea of digging through my entire pack every night to get to
my sleeping gear. It just sounds like too much work at the end of a long
day.

For the tents, it seems that GI Joe's has a nice selection at their
store that are ultra light-- in the under 2 lb category, and seem well
made. I will be taking a closer look when I am ready to purchase, and
think it will be there I will make my selection.

I'm thinking I'm going to be watching for everyone's sales/clearances so
I can get some decent deals at least on some of the more expensive gear
I need to buy.

Peace !!
Have a terrific and above all SAFE hike everyone!!

Oh yah, and have fun!!
Ronnie Jo

unsubscribe or change options: