[pct-l] Gear Weights

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Wed Mar 28 19:17:40 CDT 2007

"As others have said, the good stuff doesn't go on sale."

Generally true, but it *can* --- I got a Mariposa Plus on sale not long ago
when GG was flushing their inventory in process of switching over to a
slightly different model of it.

I do agree with the point overall (!); unless you're willing to watch and
wait a fair bit, it's likely you'll pay full price.  Worth it IMO to keep
some great small gear makers in business!  I just called ULA's Brian Frankle
today to sort out a question with an order (the brand new "mist" overmitts)
and it's great that he takes your call and gives clear and honest answers
--- about gear that's designed by someone who walks the walk.

Another alternative *if* you know what reasonable equipment choices are, and
you're patient is www.steepandcheap.com --- I saved about $100 on my
altitude watch there.  Most of what they sell isn't of interest to a
UL-minded thru-hiker, but once in a while ...

	Brian Lewis