[pct-l] Water is Section F

David Craft chsyhkr at bellsouth.net
Thu May 3 13:38:05 CDT 2007

Greetings,

Water is Section F is pretty dicey this year.  As a section hiker I am beginning to have second thoughts about my June 1 hike from Tehachepi Pass to Kennedy Meadows.  I may just do some AT this year.

I am comfortable with 20+ miles of dry, but 35+ worries me.  I will be very lightweight, but this is hot and dry trail.

Some questions-

Robin Bird is questionable now, any word on that??
That would leave Landers as the next source.  Not much futher but 35+ miles.  Any word on the Landers area yet? Could those sources be dry too??

Maybe the plumbing at Golden Oak will get fixed!

In reading some journals, I see allot of pumping from "crappy" sources, such as seeps and pools.  I have been an iodine guy.  What has been your success with digging holes, scooping, and using iodine?  Palatable or just too yucky.  I sound like my daughter!

Advice and caches are appreciated!

David Craft
PCT AT Section Hiker
Greensboro, NC