[pct-l] flying with a backpack

Suzanne Courteau wishfrog at gmail.com
Fri May 4 16:56:13 CDT 2007

Hey Brian--

When I fly with my pack, the nice people at the desk have me fasten
and tighten all the straps, then they (or i) put it in a big ol'
plastic bag they provide and tape it shut. The hiking pole is
sometimes a problem, but so far so good and it stays attached to my
pack. Once they just stuck the baggage tag on the frame and let it go
through as-is...you might also get lucky enough on a flight for them
to let you bring it into the cabin...might.

Pack the crushables way inside the pack, NOT in the outer pockets!

Mailing stuff home once you arrive at the airport is tough, unless you
have a support person in that town to help you out. So if I have
something (like my camera) that I really don't want to leave to chance
in my checked-in backpack, I add it to my carry-on bag: a plastic
supermarket grocery bag! Yes, indeedy, I look spiff strolling through
the airport in my crocs and hiker duds, plastic shopping bag in hand.
Who said hikers can't be fresh to def, anyway?

Not this hiker!

Suzanne Courteau
"Bedouin"