[pct-l] flying with backpack to ~Campo

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sat May 5 00:27:03 CDT 2007

I've only flown one trip with my backpack. I have an A-16
external frame and the pack has few straps, etc. hanging
off. However to protect the suspension straps, I cut a piece
of cardboard to cover the back (side to me) including all
the straps and tied it on, making sure all the loose ends
were tucked in. I flew into and out of the same airport and
I could leave the cardboard as well as extra stuff in the
car of another participant. Perhaps you could make a similar
cover out of cardboard or what not.

Another option is to buy a used duffel bag to contain your
pack on the way out, then arrange to give the duffel to
Goodwill (or such) on arrival. Depending on where you finish
the trail, you could arrange to have a duffel mailed to you
at your end point.

One other consideration, having your pack damaged on the
trip home is not as big a problem as on the way out when you
don't have time to repair or replace it.

Another idea, can you get a cardboard box to put your pack
and contents in. especially if you can use a common size
available at a place like a UPS store.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>

Using Mozilla Thunderbird