[pct-l] Cabin near Hwy 74 in Southern CA

Pam Bryant pam.bryant at cox.net
Tue May 22 21:18:10 CDT 2007

Hello Benjamin,

This is what I wrote to pct-l on Feb 28, 2007

    Does anyone know of a cabin that is located about 9 miles north of Hwy 74 and about 1 mile off PCT trail. I was told that one exists and want to know more info. The Idyllwild Forest Office said that it was there, but did not have any info.

Then your reply was:

    Yep. That's the Gold Shot Mine cabin. It is private property, it is not open to the public. The owners have had lots of problems with vandalism. PCT hikers have been in it; they are NOT welcome.

My current questions:

    Have you personally been to that cabin? You mentioned that PCT hikers are not welcome there. We were told that one could stay there. Also that a lake was there. Do you know about a lake? Thanks for your time in responding to me!

    Maybe at one time the owners had let PCT hikers stay there?

    A lot of questions - I was hoping to talk to you on the phone. My hiking partner and I will be starting at Live Oak Springs 6 miles north of Hwy 74 and wanted to visit the cabin. Thanks for anymore info that you may have!