[pct-l] More base layer stuff

Home jeffreyn at sonic.net
Fri Nov 2 07:51:59 CDT 2007

I have a set of long-uns bearing the REI brand, label says "polyester."
Yeah, they can get stinky, but I also try to rinse 'em out every other
week whether they need it or not, and they dry almost instantly.  It's a
knit fabric, so close fitting, only elastic seems to be the waistband on
the pants.  When in doubt I carry those, wear some sort of shirt
(typically a wicking synthetic [capiline?] long-sleeve T-shirt, also dries
quickly after a rinse) and nylon convertable pants (also REI brand, for me
works better than Columbia), can add one or another of various fleece
sweaters and/or down vest and/or rain/wind pants and rain/wind parka shell
(each simple and lightweight urethane-coated non-breathable but
well-vented, I decided I was just fooling myself thinking expensive and
heavy W/B would work).  All the items are very compact and rather
lightweight.  Mix-and-match with those options seems to handle just about
anything thrown at me so far, at least if you count and notice I still
have all my fingers and toes.  My hiking is generally California:  Sierras
or coast (northern or central), sometimes the Klamath knuckle, so I can't
say if this combination would work in, say, the Bob or the Winds at
altitude in a shoulder month, but I also expect it'll take pretty good
care of me in the Weminuche next summer.

--
I went home with the waitress
The way I always do

I was gambling in Havana