[pct-l] DVD's

Home jeffreyn at sonic.net
Sun Nov 4 20:00:11 CST 2007

Though not with the data you're distributing, I've had similar problems.
I regularly and frequently back my business data up onto DVDs.  It's a
good thing I checked, because the software was reporting a good burn but I
couldn't later access the supposedly backed-up data ... until I changed to
brand name disks.  The off-brands will work ... sometimes, but when my
livelihood can depend on the reliability of a DVD (albeit worst case
scenario), the extra few bucks a brand name stack costs is well worth it.
In fact, cheap at twice the cost.

Actually, I like my son-in-law's solution best:  a racked terrabyte server
in the basement, with the disks mirrored.  And yet another copy encrypted
and stashed on the Web somewhere.  Takes all the fun out of hermetically
sealed caves, though.

--
I'm through with love
I'll never fall again.