[pct-l] SoCal NF;s opening

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 23:59:57 CST 2007

                  San Berdoo NF website has been updated while the Cleveland and Angles have not but I have seen this article or ones similar since first posting this afternoon.  I too am surprised ......... they have managed the evacuations and closures much differently than they did in 03.

  Los Padres Forest to reopen
Staff report

            A temporary emergency closure put into effect for Los Padres National Forest on Oct. 23 will be terminated effective Thursday.   The Los Padres, along with the Angeles, San Bernardino and Cleveland national forests implemented the temporary closures during the recent fires due to extreme fire danger, and to protect public health and safety.             These closures were left in place last weekend due to predicted Santa Ana winds and on-going fire-related activities.

Forest Service officials have re-evaluated current conditions for the four national forests based on a variety of criteria including the moisture level in vegetation, weather conditions and firefighter staffing/equipment needs.

That assessment concludes that it is now possible to reopen the Los Padres, Angeles and San Bernardino national forests to visitors beginning Thursday. The Cleveland National Forest will re-open Saturday.

All areas closed to the public prior to the temporary emergency closures will remain closed. In Los Padres National Forest, this includes most of the San Rafael Wilderness and all of the Dick Smith Wilderness, as well as some surrounding land affected by the Zaca Fire. The Zaca Fire closure will remain in effect through April.

In addition, a portion of Los Padres National Forest in Ventura County that was affected by the Ranch Fire will remain closed until further notice due to residual fire in the area. This includes all lands, roads and trails in the Oak Flat and Dough Flat areas bounded on the north, east and west by the Sespe Condor Sanctuary and on the south by the national forest boundary. This area will remain closed until the Ranch Fire is declared controlled.

The Forest Service also has closed national forest lands east of Piru Lake and Piru Creek in the Angeles National Forest. This area was affected by the Ranch Fire and will remain closed for one year due to resource concerns.

The following restrictions will remain in effect until the end of "high fire season" in Los Padres National Forest:

Wood and charcoal fires are prohibited in all areas of Los Padres National Forest, including developed campgrounds and designated Campfire Use Sites.

Recreational target shooting is prohibited in all areas of the Los Padres National Forest except the Winchester Gun Club in Santa Barbara County and the Ojai Valley Gun Club in Ventura County. Hunting with a valid State of California hunting license is exempt from this restriction.

Smoking is prohibited in all areas of Los Padres National forest except within an enclosed vehicle, building, or designated Campfire Use Site.

Portable stoves and lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel, are allowed only in designated Campfire Use Sites with a valid California Campfire Permit. Campfire permits are available free-of-charge at any Forest Service office. You must clear all flammable material for a distance of five feet in all directions from your camp stove, have a shovel available, and ensure that a responsible person attends the stove at all times when it is in use.

Internal combustion engines may be operated only on roads or trails that are designated for such use. (This restriction is in ef\fect year-round.) Make sure that your engine is operating properly and you have an approved spark arrester.

For more information, visit the Los Padres National Forest website at http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres

Donna Saufley <dsaufley at sprynet.com> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                I’m going to put my neck out and guess that this is just a rumor.  I don’t think that they’ll open again until we have a substantial rain and the fire threat diminishes.  There’s a rumor that we might get rain tomorrow.

  L-Rod