[pct-l] gossamer gear: ultralight?

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 8 15:48:20 CST 2007

I have also used Gossamer Gear backpacks on several long hikes. They work very well given a few caveats. And as previously mentioned, Glen and Grant stand behind their work.

The primary consideration is that you have to be very light, if not ultra-light. Don't try to carry 20 lbs of gear plus food and water. They just won't hold up to the weight. They weren't designed for it. If you think you will carry that much weight take a look at the ULA packs. They are a little heavier, but carry more weight and are more comfortable.

I am not very easy on my packs and a G4 lasted through the CDT and a Mariposa lasted through the AT. It took 2 Mariposa's to last through the ADT, but that was 5000 miles. The fabric just couldn't handle 14 hours of strong sunlight in Kansas every day. But that won't be a problem on the PCT. If you baby them a bit they will last.

Do load all your gear into whatever pack you decide on and try several hikes with it loaded. You might even find a few ounces of gear you really don't want to carry. ;)

Ken
www gottawalk com