[pct-l] Dog Help

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 17:38:13 CST 2007

Thanks Mags.....both are excellent references.  And you are right of course.  I couldn't bear to part with my best pal.  However, it is also true that every time I get my backpack out he gets soooooo excited.  He's smaill, but he loves to hike and camp!  He has hiked as much as 12 miles a day for 2 days in a row, in the mountains thru pouring rain both days.  And still he loves it.  The only time I saw him freak was when lightening struck very near......but I freaked too, having been struck by lightening in the Shenandoahs, when I did a thru on the AT!  Yikes!!

Wheeew
Paul Magnanti <pmags at yahoo.com> wrote: Though meant for the Appalachian Trail, the general concepts should apply for the PCT:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.795337/k.9784/Hiking_with_Dogs.htm

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/fido.pdf

(Written by a veterinarian!)

Obviously the desert hiking is another ball of wax from the AT. Most of the snow fields a hiker typically crossed are in NPS lands where Fido is not allowed, so that is one less
physical hurdle for Fido. But a possible logistic issue for you.

Good luck!

ps. "He would be far happier on the trail than without his master for several months."

Or maybe it is  the reverse ;-)