[pct-l] Burned Trail

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Fri Nov 16 13:56:45 CST 2007

Haven't been on The Trail since the fires. But here's what I know of
SoCal:

The recent fires have either burned, or come very close to the trail
between the border and Morena Res. This fire was in fact named The
Potrero Fire, which is the USGS 7.5' Quad name for the portion of the
PCT between the border and Moreana Res, hence the name.

The trail just north out of Mt Laguna burned a few years back, I think
before the Cedar Fire. And then there was, of course, The Cedar Fire,
but I don't know if the PCT burned along the Sunrise Highway during that
fire.

I think The San Felipes burned recently, but it was a moonscape before
anyway...

There's a short burn area between Barrel Spring and about a mile north
toward San Ysidro creek.

From about Chihuahua Valley to the north foot of Combs Peak, there's a
nasty burn area.

The hike down from Fuller Ridge into Snow Creek goes through a burn area
just past One Horse Ridge.

Then there's the entire Mission Creek climb that's completely devastated
from the Millard/Sawtooth Complex fire from Whitewater to the treeline
at about 7k.

Haven't been north of highway 38 yet, but I hear the trail between
Holcumb Valley and Silverwood is burned. Agua Dulce got hit with the
recent fires too.

The PCT in Southern California was already a hot, waterless desert
environment to begin with. Now it's been burned in many places. I'm with
you- burn areas depress me.

Michael Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE Studio, Inc. | Architecture
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T
949.809.2700 | www.mve-studio.com <http://www.mve-studio.com/>

  <http://www.mve-studio.com/>