[pct-l] Burned Trail

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 14:31:19 CST 2007

I can continue where Mike left off in section C and the East part of D.

  Millard and Sawtooth fires last year torched most of Mission Creek --- there is a few miles on each side of Onyx Summit that is unburned and un-desert.  Around Baldwin Lake is mostly desert.  On the other side of Route 18 until just East of Bear Spring Camp is unscathed.  But most of Holcomb Creek is torched due to September's Butler fire.  Last months Slide fire got REALLY close to the PCT but was windblown South so I believe there that less than 5 miles of trail that is either unscathed or recovering from the Willow fire from the 80's.  The old fire in the 80's had a few fingers - from below Tent Peg camp to Splinter's Bridge and Deep creek.  There is a small section below the hot springs that got torched.  And most of the PCT West of 138 in Lake Silverwood is recovering from the 03 fires.
  The eastern Section of D is mostly unscathed after you rise above 4000 and is pristine until you get to Aqua Dulce side of the Angeles and I have no reliable beta on that side of the mountain/

  IMO opinion - of the  150 miles of section C there is still just under 20 miles of NON DESERT or NON BURNED AREAS.  Even 7 years ago that would number would have only been 60 miles --- so come on out a HIKE.

  SB

Mike Saenz <msaenz at mve-architects.com> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Haven’t been on The Trail since the fires. But here’s what I know of SoCal:

  The recent fires have either burned, or come very close to the trail between the border and Morena Res. This fire was in fact named The Potrero Fire, which is the USGS 7.5’ Quad name for the portion of the PCT between the border and Moreana Res, hence the name.

  The trail just north out of Mt Laguna burned a few years back, I think before the Cedar Fire. And then there was, of course, The Cedar Fire, but I don’t know if the PCT burned along the Sunrise Highway during that fire.

  I think The San Felipes burned recently, but it was a moonscape before anyway

  There’s a short burn area between Barrel Spring and about a mile north toward San Ysidro creek.

  From about Chihuahua Valley to the north foot of Combs Peak, there’s a nasty burn area.

  The hike down from Fuller Ridge into Snow Creek goes through a burn area just past One Horse Ridge.

  Then there’s the entire Mission Creek climb that’s completely devastated from the Millard/Sawtooth Complex fire from Whitewater to the treeline at about 7k.

  Haven’t been north of highway 38 yet, but I hear the trail between Holcumb Valley and Silverwood is burned. Agua Dulce got hit with the recent fires too.

  The PCT in Southern California was already a hot, waterless desert environment to begin with. Now it’s been burned in many places. I’m with you- burn areas depress me.

-->Michael Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE Studio, Inc. | Architecture
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu