[pct-l] Dog Help

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 19:17:53 CST 2007

Donna-

  I value your opinion for sure.  I wonder if you've had a chance to read all my posts on this topic.  If not, please take a minute to do so and see if you think my plans for bringing my dog is "do-able".  I think my previous responses may at least convince you that I've put a lot of planning and thought into this and into making it as safe as possible for my dog.  Most importantly, as I've said before, I plan on CARRYING him most of the way.  When I wrote you before about coming to Hiker Heaven in '08, I said you'll know me because I'll be the one carrying the dog!!!  I have read of a guy that carried his cat all the way, on top of his backpack.  I doubt that my dog weighs more than his cat, so I don't think it will be too horrible to carry the extra weight.

  Wheeew

Donna Saufley <dsaufley at sprynet.com> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                I apologize because I haven’t read the references Mags provided, but wanted to comment on your response because it sounds like your dog’s trail experience has been on the AT.  Please keep in mind that the PCT and AT are similar only in that they are both long trails.  The weather and terrain you’ll find on the southern PCT are for the most part quite dissimilar to anything you’ll find on the AT.  In some sections, you’ll experience 110 degree plus days, single digit humidity, long waterless stretches without shade, and soil like sandpaper.  The dry, harsh, extreme desert conditions found in Southern California can be very hard on people and on animals who aren’t adapted to them.

  Lover of dogs (current count:  seven)

  L-Rod