[pct-l] burned areas

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Sat Nov 17 15:14:02 CST 2007

My experience has been that there is no significant change in
available water, there is less cover from the sun, and there are dead
black bare trees and shrubs. In freshly burned areas there will be
black ash that may blow up, but you can count on at least getting
your feet/shoes coated with ash. There also may be more blowdowns
than usual because dead roots don't hold very well. That also depends
upon wind strengths this winter. Burns more than 2 or 3 years old
usually have no ash, significant low height green recovery growth and
black dead tree trunks. At this point, the only planning change I
would recommend is to avoid camping in freshly burned areas.  Trails
may be rerouted but they seem to not be rerouted in most cases.

Pieces