[pct-l] conditioning

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 17 23:22:06 CST 2007

Tortoise wrote:> So I put on my heavy Capilene shirt and fleece vest and my Marmot Precip > rain wear and went for a walk -- about 1 mile. This walk is both a test > of this clothing system to keep me warm and dry and conditioning my > attitude to hike in the rain.
<snip>
> My attitude did great. The back of my head got > wet from rain leaking thru but I can't see any holes in the parka. What > gives? Any ideas?
We had Marmot Precip rain gear on the CDT last year.  We used it because so many hikers had recommended it.  They leaked until Lincoln MT, where I used two cans of spray waterproofing on them.  That lasted about a week - then they leaked again.  We won't use Marmot Precip again.
> But let me recommend to all prospective PCT hikers that you do some of > your conditioning in cold wet weather to test your gear, and condition > you attitude and mind set for hiking in this weather.LOL - it's amazing how many people think Fall and Winter weather is too cold, wet or snowy to get out and hike.  Somehow it seems to escape them that Spring hiking isn't necessarily all that different.  We  got "cold and wet" in Northern California in July.

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/