[pct-l] rainwear

V Hurst vjl_47 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 11:10:40 CST 2007

I also own a leaking Marmot Precip...however, it didn't start leaking til it was about 6 years old and I did wear it a lot...I bought it for $25 because I worked at a gear store so I got my $$$worth.. :) I just retired mine..not worth it..I then bought Dri Ducks or the Gander Mtn knockoffs which I like but I have not tested as much as I need to...they are lite and seem to keep me dry...I agree that the Precip pants were by far at the time the best thing/deal on the market...

Now dont' laugh or do I dont' care do laugh...but I have worn the Packa and loved it but think it still isn't exactly what I want...its long and the whole idea is wonderful ...so right now I think that I'll be hiking ala Liteshoe using a rain jacket and a garbage bag "skirt" maybe... :)

vera

I spent $500 on Marmot rain gear for my AT thru.  (Stop laughing).  The jacket leaked like a sieve thru the zip pits, which I never used to "ventilate".  I did call them and they immediately sent me a new jacket, minus pit zips, to a place ahead on the trail.  I still use it.  And the pants were excellent...they unzipped all the way from waist to ankle on both sides.....still use them too.  When they got the old jacket back, they tested it and sent me a note saying, "Yep, the pits leak!   Thanks for letting us know!".  Too bad they didn't test them before selling them.  I haven't bought anything "Marmot" since then.  Don't trust 'em.  But their response was excellent.

I just bought Sierra Designs rain gear and the jacket has, well, yes,   zip pits!  But only because I like the jacket so well that I was willing to try em again.  Might take them back and get DriDucks instead, to save weight.  Opinions on DriDucks please???  I hear they can split pretty easy if you don't buy them BIG.

Wheeew

Susan Alcorn <backpack45 at yahoo.com> wrote: Ralph and I both had Precip jackets and they also gave up the ghost unexpectedly -- and of course during a rainstorm. We also tried rinsing them well (to get rid of any detergent residue), putting them in the dryer, and applying spray. No dice. We have given up on them, too. I now do a test in the shower before depending on any raingear.
Susan Alcorn