[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 40

Sheila Quinlan sheilaquinlan at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 23 13:27:55 CST 2007

RE:  Illegal food storage finesIn 2650 miles of trail, the only ranger we saw on the whole trail in 2005 was in Yosemite.  We were heading southbound through Lyell Canyon in early September.  I tried to act very confident and friendly and tried to avoid the bear canister question.  When it came, we talked about what we did for bear safety (basically stealth camping and sleeping with our food right at our heads wrapped in a heavy trash bag) and he was satisfied and let us go on our way.  I think it's probably an okay risk to take in my opinion, just make sure you have your PCT permit to back up the fact that you're a thru hiker.  Hope this helps,
Barnyard