[pct-l] Illegal food storage fines

Robert W. Freed robert at engravingpros.com
Fri Nov 23 15:12:22 CST 2007

   Carry the Bear Vault or comparable. The reason the bears are so bad in some areas is because every one camps in the same location. I promised myself that I would stealth camp all the time. Well after yo-yoing the JMT this year I found that some of the worst bear areas are places you get funneled into. Some of the passes take all day. After 10-14 hours on the trail you end up camping just were you promised yourself you would avoid. This year the Garcia or a new Bear Vault with the red label were the only containers approved for food storage around the Rae Lakes area. Bears have defeated all of the other containers.
    I never had any problems with bears this year. They came through camp sniffed around and left without ever waking me. In years past I have given food to hikers bailing out do to poor food storage choices. Why take the chance, carry the extra 3 pounds for a week or two.

  Robert