[pct-l] How to handle and pack a bear canister........

Phil Baily pbaily at webuniverse.net
Sat Nov 24 21:04:55 CST 2007

I am not an expert and usually fill the can with 7-8 days worth of
food. However, I would like to point out a few things.
         - Bears won't fight you for food, typically. They will wait
for you to leave it lying around, usually. Therefore, when repacking
you probably won't have a bear steal from right next to you. During
the day you can carry meals and snacks outside your cannister. Just
don't leave your pack while you go off on a short side trip!
         - After a few days you can find things and get things off
the bottom by rummaging without emptying your cannister.
         - Depending on what you have and the shapes, you might be
able to stack meals or days minimizing the need to empty the cannister.
It really is not that bad a chore.
Pieces