[pct-l] Bear Canisters (again)

david booth dbooth at cyberone.com.au
Sun Nov 25 15:45:57 CST 2007

On the JMT this year my wife and I carried two Bear Vaults (red
label), the BV400 and the BV350.
We used Maryjanes Farm meals (purchased in bulk and repacked in
griplock bags).

Our main problem with the canisters was condensation. The first 7
days on the trail had rain (also lightning and and hail) each day.
Leaving the warm canister out in the rain or cold nights caused up to
one cup of condensation in the canister.
It was inconvenient but I thought of people who advocated packing
powders and rice etc loose in the canister. They could have a big
mushy problem.  I had so much water in the canister at one stage that
I thought the lid was leaking in the rain or the moisture was
diffusing through the plastic. Once the rainy weather stopped the
condensation problem went away.

What is the solution?  Is it the trapped moisture in the screw thread
of the lid when you close the lid in damp weather? Could it be that
if you have loose dry contents that  any powder acts as a moisture
absorber?
Please don't suggest we only hike in perfect weather!

By the way, I saw some northbound hikers carrying canisters and a
large external food bag to hold the overflow food. I guess they used
the Switchback method of using a small canister (for the chocolates)
and sleeping on the overflow food.
The external bag was for feeding the bears and the chocolates for
emergency food to eat after the bears have taken the other bag.

Aussie Dave
Canberra Australia