[pct-l] Bear Canisters (again) & Food Mates

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Nov 26 01:36:13 CST 2007

_dbooth at cyberone.com.au_ (mailto:dbooth at cyberone.com.au)  writes:  By  the
way, I saw some northbound hikers carrying canisters and a
large  external food bag to hold the overflow food. I guess they used the
Switchback method of using a small canister (for the chocolates) and  sleeping
on the overflow food.
Actually, I trying to think in 40 years of backpacking if I have ever  slept
with my food.  I have had a cookie or food bar in my tent at night  for blood
sugar challenges (I am a diabetic).  Really no food leftovers  from a meal.
No, I have never slept with my food because I am a  coward.  I would be too
scared of the bears, saber tooth tigers, etc.,  getting me.

I remember in Yosemite one night I had a large bear (when you are looking  up
at the bear all bears are big) walk past my netting tent and look down at me
and kind of growl.  I heard him coming and knew I did not have any food or
odor products (except me) in my tent, so I figured he would pass on, which he
did.

Plus, I know my reputation extends out into the woods besides the hiker
community.  The large carnivores pretty much stay away from me too.

As an aside, sometimes I hike at night just to see if I can find some
animals to harass.  It seems to be much quietier and stealth like at  night.  I use
my indian stalking routine along the trail at night --- it  never works.
Everytime I sneak around a corner or over a rise there is  nothing there.  Bummer.
 I bet my headlamp gives me away.  I  would turn it off, but then I would get
scared of the dark.

Cheers, Switchback the Leftover