[pct-l] crampons?

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Nov 26 15:42:12 CST 2007

Good afternoon, Moondog,

You should watch the various Sierra snow level reports and be guided accordingly.  This year was a very low snow year and the passes were relatively easy to cross.  90% of the people I encountered were wearing sneakers.  The only regular boots that I can remember were on a few south-bound JMT hikers.  I encountered few posthole situations, and that was mostly on the backside, i.e. north side, of several passes.  Boots and crampons really wouldn't be of any help when postholing, except in a few instanced there was some risk of stepping out of a low shoe, at which point I would have had to stop and dig it out.  I didn't see any crampons, and only once did I wish I had mine.  When I do use crampons, I use the instep variety which fit and function well on my sneakers.  Even though the crampons would have been handy, in hindsight, I would not carry then on another passage of the same conditions.  Similarly, I did not carry an ice axe either.  The following link refers to the only time I wished I had had either of them.    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=188368

Steel-Eye