[pct-l] Slackpackers and other myths...

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Nov 30 22:07:48 CST 2007

Jim and/or Ginny Owen wrote:

> The "original" slackpacker was, as defined by O.D. Coyote, someone who
> carried enough gear, food, etc to stay on the trail for extended
> periods of time - and take the time to enjoy the trail, the
> country and the lifestyle.
I also think it describes an archetype that formed the early to late
1970s.  It was a lifestyle, not just a way of hiking.  The slackpacker
was the mobile counterpart to the "Shed Boys" found on the Olympic
Peninsula of Western Washington State.  In the mid to late 60s the Shed
boys found outbuildings and lean toos and built platforms with walls and
a roof!  Work was not an issue, and women came and went depending on
looks, or so the shed boy thought.  Relationships never lasted -
commitment never lasted.  There was something he was aligned with no one
else saw.

The homely shed boy hung in the background of his boistrous, more
attractive friends ongoing party, but mostly hung out alone.  But he's
had a couple relationships too...  He made being-a-shed-boy a viable
role for more visible and effusive characters.  He found deep love, but
once the honeymoon was over he'd already left...

The mid-to late 60s was a time for mid- teenagers.  13 was too early,
and 16 was too late.  The Slackpacker's identity emerged as a "cohort"
during this time.  14 and 15 are the power years.  The 70s 14 and 15
year olds were overwhelmed.  They had negative press in their lives
during that period.  But the 14 and 15 year olds that thrived during the
mid-sixties developed a global perspective that is stronger in this age
group than any other.  The is a core of values of persons in their
mid-fifties that is both our legacy and future - the Slackpacker intuits
this.

However, all this understanding did was to create a deep confusion this
age group masked during their rise to adulthood.  This confusion formed
the nucleus of a new social order - one that becomes a bit more visible
every day.  It's here, and the Slackpacker is one of the first social
identities to live it.

The slackpacker is most adept at being-in-the-moment in the world.  One
foot in front of the other is the routine, and anything different is
interesting - hah, another brother!!!

He leads the rest of us on in vision, acting, and glory because we are
part of community.

The slackpacker is the embodiment of balance and harmony - balance.  Not
self-destructive in part because of hiking everyday.  Not creative in
part because it's really a matter of "just hanging out."

Both extremes are yet to be explored for the slackpacker.  He hugs the
middle, his spot in the universe, always a little bit apart, and yet so
yearning to be part of...

Enough gear, food, and knowledge to stay on the trail for an extended
period of time, enjoying being-in-the-moment alone...

The slackpacker is always alone.  He may share his life with a partner,
but there is always a place inside that's private, that no one knows
about.  He doesn't worry much about this space, and functions pretty
well in work-a-day life.  But inside this space is empty somehow,
hollow, an ache that doesn't have a location.

The slackpacker has an internal life richer and deeper and more active
than most people.  He realizes this is not a gift, because he wasn't
given business sense, or relationship sense, or any sense that touches
the deep confusion he constantly feels.

One of the reasons he is a "Slackpacker" is that he refuses to give up
being-confused.  He intuits, or groks, or understands in his body that
he'll never make sense of the confusion.  Others interpret this
according to norms that make us conform to materialist goals and
dreams.  The Slackpacker has never bought into this perspective and
hence doesn't really look like the rest of middle America - and upon
reflection, never really did.  He always had a certain awkwardness...

The 14 or 15 year old is a driving force in how the Slackpacker makes
meaning in his world.  His face is alive with it - the 14 year old.  It
is the life of realizing and understanding, and catching up with the
speed of the world.  16 has most of us filter out and find little
pockets of identity within the social network.  WE inhabit them in
pods.  The Slackpacker was never unconscious enough to hover in a pod.
He inhabited his roots, which at 14, didn't have much currency in the
teenage world.

And finally, this is it, isn't it - the Slackpacker is still finding his
place in the world, inhabiting one of the few social roles that promotes
individuality and creativity as a lifestyle.  And this is what the rest
of us miss...  The lifestyle of the Slackpacker, moving through the
moment, alone, alive, conscious and humming with a rapacious and
undulating feeling - living!!!

The rest of us have little world goals and objectives, and never give
ourselves the opportunity to understand, to understand where the
Slackpacker comes from.  We may know someone who's a Slackpacker in our
mundane lives, and never know it.  WE are blind and ignorant to one of
the truly hardest won social roles a person can fill.  Why are we so
blind and ignorant???

Slackpackers have tried to share with us their wisdom, but without the
larger perspective, their words couldn't be understood.  They knew what
they meant, and felt, but the rest of us could only gaze at the
Slackpacker with a glazed shine to our eye.  Man, just drifting from one
place to another, "on the trail he says..."  HAH...  He's just looking
for two weeks to let his toe heal cause he kicked something...":

The Slackpacker has a presence recognized by only a few.  My brother's a
monk, and he wouldn't recognize the essence of the "Slackpacker."  Those
who recognize his essence share his confusion and openness to what the
world gives.  The Slackpacker's community shares with him an allegiance
to larger perspectives, personal responsibility for actions and
feelings, and a living sense that the world is unjust...

That last part is never really very foreground for the Slackpacker.  But
he embodies the free spirit that the rest of us admire, but easily hides
his confusion with being-in-the-world.  So many surfaces sliding along
one another - it's really hard to make sense of it the Slackpacker
thinks!!!  The rest of us don't even see it...

Jeff, just Jeff, just playing around...
11-30-2007