[pct-l] Hiking Pace and Enjoyment

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Nov 30 22:30:10 CST 2007

_Tortoise73 at charter.net_ (mailto:Tortoise73 at charter.net)  writes:  I  don't
know what term you would use to describe Switchback and mine
style of  taking time to enjoy the camp and the environment.  Perhaps  normal!
I think if I was well physically, I would probably hike fast and light  too.
Though it is hard, I do remember my youth and how I hiked.  I  pushed big
miles for those days.  Now that I think about it, if I just  added one more day
to my trips, I would had a lot more fun for the same trip  mileage.  I guess
the same would be true today when I heal up after the  knee operation.  I hope I
remember this and use my head a little more than  my feet.

I figure 95% of backpackers do trips under 4 days out on the trail.   May be
I am wrong, but I would guess the average hike day is 8-12 miles.   That is
pretty good and allows for nice camp time and fun.  If I am out for  3 days and
do 30 miles, I am satisfied and had a nice adventure along the  trail.  I know
I could hike farther, but that is not the point.  The  point for me is some
good exercise, adventure, and goof off time with Mother  Nature and my pals.

Cheers, Switchback the Adventurer