[pct-l] It's All in the Timing SAR

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 23:32:33 CDT 2007

Actually the "Lost Person Behavior" is to go down hill  and to stay in canyons and to head to the lights.  These seem to be "the least resistance" to someone who is tired, hungry, dehydratd and potentially hypothermic but might NOT be the best choice depending on terrrain and location..  Also most of the people that we (SAR) look for are ill prepared, naviagation impaired, and a little bit cocky.  So the lesson to be learned is NOT to just stay on the ridges but IMO

  -Be more prepared - have the gear and the clothes for the worst case scenario.
  -Not be navigationally challenged - know compass and have a good map.
-Know your limits and respect mother nature

  I am sure there is many more safety tips on "How to avoid a SAR rescue turning into a recovery."

  SB - who does volunteer for SAR

Scott Herriott <yetifan at yahoo.com> wrote:
  He left notes in margins on his maps which were found
in his tent and he knew that he was in big trouble. He
had tried heading down that particular canyon and
couldn't get back out. A lesson to be learned from
it...don't follow canyons out! If you feel you must
head down...take the ridges.

Squatch
www.walkpct.com