[pct-l] End of the trail?

J Schurr schurrjd at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 18:59:57 CDT 2007

  Hello to all!  I have been monitoring this list since April, when my son Guts, and his hiking partner Chuckwagon began their thru-hike.  I have enjoyed the info, the jokes, and even the squabbles, but have never posted - until the "trail closing" thread.
    My son and his buddy are part of the group of a dozen or so hikers that got turned back from Cutthroat Pass to Winthrop due to weather, and had planned to try and push on thru as a group.  He called last night, the group had once again turned back to Winthrop after making about 20 miles along the trail - no visibility and 2-3 feet of snow.  They have collectively decided that the passes are impassable (sounds like the PCT for 2007 is closed.)  However, some of them were discussing an alternate route - about 20 miles along a road, and a trail along a lake.  This was at an elevation where they did not expect to hit heavy snow, and would bring them to the Canadian border - altho' not to the "offical" trail-end at Monument 78.  I know how frustrated my son was - they had taken a zero at Stehekin to rest before the final push, while a couple they were hiking with pushed on - and appears they were the last hikers thru.  I hope the folks who are ending their trek realize that
 a wise decision means a successful hike, even if not all the way through, and those who take the alternate to at least reach the border still realize what an accomplishment it is!

  Further update:  Guts called today and informed us that about half the group had decided to take the alternate route to the border, and he expected they would finish Thursday.  Mr. D's journal pictures (link is already on the list) show the conditions and the group. Guts is to the far right in the group shot in the red coat.  Wish them luck, and say a prayer for anyone still out on the trail.