[pct-l] Weather in Stehekin

Dick Bingham dick.bingham at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:54:41 CDT 2007

Greetings everyone

Here in Stehekin we have experienced a lot of rain recently. Between
4:30AM - 2 Oct - thru 1:30AM - 3 Oct - we had 1.65 inches of rain and
lots of snow half-way down McGregor mountain - 4000-to-5000 ft level.
By 6PM - 3 Oct - the snow level had receeded significantly to between
6K to 7K feet.

My wife, the Stehekin Postmaster, told me several hikers came in today
and she is not certain if any left S to head north. Several arrived
yesterday in time to be out of the rain storm - fortunate them!

I suspect the river/stream crossings between here and Manning are
still OK because the Stehekin River and local feeder streams are not
showing any "color" or increase in flow.

Since the weather has changed so much from that typical of October in
Stehekin, I will be happy to send _short_ messages (50/75 words) to
the PCT-L with any trail info presented to my wife during her
postmaster hours. Hopefully, this info will be of some assistance to
hikers leaving Stevens Pass heading North.

Most of today - 3 Oct - was delightful so I suspect those headed to
Stehekin had a better day than yesterday. The lowest temperature here
during the past 1 1/2 days has been 41F at 1200 feet..

Good luck to everyone "out there" ...

--
Dick Bingham - W7WKR  CN98pi
Stehekin, WA