[pct-l] Thru Hikers

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 17:01:20 CDT 2007

Geezer wrote:
> Trailboy,
>
> Curious what weather you had on 9-20 after you left (at ~ 4:00 am) our
> shared campsite below Methow pass.  Did you have much rain that day?

Geezer!!!!  There you are!!

Same as you, I also had some difficulties the night of the 20th.  Both times
in the hot tub, I couldn't get the temperature to rise above 104 degrees!

Easy, Lizard, Samuri Joe and I hitched down to Winthrup from Harts Pass.  At
noon (mid day!) the temperature dropped to below freezing.  High winds,
visability was dropping in a blizard and the trail was starting to
disappear.
We hitched back up the next morning and finished 10 am the 22nd.

In June 2005 I had a similar experience at Harts Pass.
Seven of us crammed in the bathroom mid day to get warm.  All of us in one
stall.   One person hypothermic.
It didn't work.  We then crammed our gear and ourselves into half a camper
shell for an 18 mile ride down to Mazama,
thus giving us the name "The Sardine Seven".

Twice from Harts Pass now I've had the same MAJOR difficulty.
I couldn't get the hot tub in Mazama to rise above 104 either!!

Thru-hiking can be rough at times.

I mean Monty