[pct-l] Fwd: Excessive Information Gathering on Hikers

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Fri Oct 12 14:57:44 CDT 2007

> No problem Scott. We won't worry about any of the hikers anymore. They
> choose to go out in hazardous conditions........why should we give a rip
> about their safety.

> > This 'caring, helpful' trail supporter mentality can actually have the
> > opposite effect, such as, calling search & rescue because YOU'RE
> concerned.
> > Not because THE HIKERS require it.

First off, as list administrator, I'd like this discussion to remain
civil, so please be friendly

Mainly, this brings up a interesting point to consider. When John
Donovan went missing in San Jacinto, when would have been a good time
to call SAR? If 'caring, helpful' trail supporters had called SAR
earlier, could he have lived? He certainly was unable to communicate
his need from where he was stuck.

>From the notes he left behind he was alive for quite a long time after
he went missing.

Or does his "right to privacy" include a right to die privately while
lost in the mountains in a storm?

I'd be interested in hearing YOUR opinion on this.