[pct-l] Excessive BS

bighummel at aol.com bighummel at aol.com
Fri Oct 12 17:39:03 CDT 2007

When I came into Indpendence 7 days late, my well intentioned parents had contacted the post office and sheriffs office, worried, rightly so, due to a snow storm hitting the southern Sierra where they new I was generally.? After the 5th day they freaked and called the sheriffs to put out a search.? A different SAR found several distraught hikers in the Kern River Valley, but not me.? I was at times in situations that easily could have resulted in the need for SAR.?

I don't believe that concern by the people near to you is excessive and telling someone how they should or shouldn't act is rarely successful, especially when it comes to emotions.?

Yep, all us hikers are damn independent, stubborn, self-centered, determined and don't ever wish to be rescued, until that fateful day when we really need it.? I hope that if that day ever comes for me that my loved ones will be concerned enough to send out the help in time, from "excessive care", "excessive worry" or whatever.

IMHO, HYOH, SIWTSDS,

Greg "Strider" Hummel