[pct-l] excessive info gathering on hikers

V Hurst vjl_47 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 13 09:03:42 CDT 2007

I have been very fortunate, over many thousands of trail miles (and
eight seasons on the PCT) to have never had a problem or injury. The
many hours and days of planning and preparation are a form of
insurance: You hope you never ever need it. But you do it
nonetheless, because it's just the prudent, responsible thing to do.

I hope you all will be as fortunate as I have been. I also hope you
all will take the prudent steps that will preclude those who love you
from having to make rash or ill-advised decisions about your hike.

Best,

David Plotnikoff"

  David,
  as a newbie just into the PCT hike planning I appreciate your last post..thanks for de-lurking to outline some great tips for planning.

  my only comment, and I don't know nothin', is that if I am out there and in danger/or not I'd rather someone error on the side of caution then to know that I was the last person to see a hiker alive and not do anything. I hope that other's will feel that way too :) again I am just new to this and don't know nothin' ..back to lurking.  I really appreciate this whole thread...as an AT hiker you never really think about this issue of privacy/wild hiking vs interfering/helping as trail angels are everywhere and the hiking experience is so different.

  thanks for all the great info

  vera

"