[pct-l] Excessive Information Gathering on Hikers

Tom Griffin griffin at u.washington.edu
Sat Oct 13 09:19:29 CDT 2007

If you haven't read Nadine's journal entry about this, I think it
settles this contentious discussion. She is extremely grateful that
people cared so much. She also explains the local political context. In
the Seattle area we just had an incident where a woman was trapped in
her car for eight days after running off the road into a brushy creek
bed (she lived but the sheriff's office was criticized for not starting
the search earlier). This put a lot of pressure on the authorities to
start any missing persons search early. That incident also made the
local TV stations hungry for more "lost" tragedies. Here is the most
relevant excerpt from her journal:

"...from piecing it all together in the last day or so, i guess what had
happened is that one of the other thru-hikers declared that the pct
section was impassible and told the local trail angels that chris and i
were still unaccounted for. they in turn called 911, and the officials
started up a full scale search in response to some political pressure.
several tragedies had occurred out here in the last couple of weeks. a
woman who had driven off the road and hadn't been found for 8 days... a
father and his 12 year old son were found dead on a glacier nearby after
spending 4 days missing before the search parties went after them. they
didn't want to let this one get away from them... so they pulled out all
the stops to find us. and they did an amazing job, and it all amounted
to a great training exercise. it was the media that went overboard by
sensationalizing the whole thing.

in the end, i think the search parties were immensely relieved that we
weren't in any danger in the first place. the first words they said to
us were, "hey, mind if we all get a group photo?".

the hikers, rescuers, angels and everyone involved showed
incredible selflessness and diligence in taking care of their own... and
i'm even more awed by the power of community. the dinsmore's (trail
angels) of skykomish are parents to us all out here. i just have to stop
and appreciate how significant it is for anyone to CARE so much about
total strangers.

maybe there is hope for us after all."

The full journal entries are at <http://blog.gopacha.org/>.

I just want to add to the many voices thanking the Dinsmores, Sauffleys,
Heitmans and all the other trail angels for all that they do for the PCT
community. As Nadine said, "maybe there is hope for us all after all."

Tom "Bullfrog" Griffin
Seattle
PCT Pages: http://griffinte.home.comcast.net/pct.html