[pct-l] Mt. Bikes on the trail

Lars Nilsson lars at standardarmament.com
Wed Oct 17 14:05:49 CDT 2007

That has always been the response from bikers and ATV users. At what
point have we compromised our way to no public lands that haven't been
torn up by machines?

If you keep compromising, at some point you'll have nothing left to
concede.

"Public Lands" use is dictated by the Public.  Increasingly wilderness
use is day use or weekend use.  If the numbers of those in the public
see us as gatekeepers, keeping others out for our own provincial
desires, even if those desires are altruistically intended to benefit
future generations, then they will be more inclined to sweep aside our
desires.  Increasing access AND APPRECIATION of wilderness might be the
best way of protecting wilderness.  Like it or not the wilderness
changes along with the surrounding country.  The California grizzly bear
is only found on our state flag.  Muir hut and other buildings, the
signs that help guide us, even the trails we walk on are the result of
machines or tools.  We will only appreciate the wildness of nature as we
interact with it, but even that interaction changes nature.  Even our
footsteps alter the landscape.

Lars Nilsson

TrailSnail

  _____

That has always been the response from bikers and ATV users. At what
point have we compromised our way to no public lands that haven't been
torn up by machines?

If you keep compromising, at some point you'll have nothing left to
concede.

Jerry

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/>  :
the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

  _____